Gendarmes

Yeah, this project is out of control.  Here is my first attempt at doing and actual Renaissance cavalry unit for my Landsknecht project and not just old GW minis.  These are Renaissance Knights from Wargames Foundry.  Heavy plate, metal barding and lances:  Everything I think of when I think of a true and proper knight!  I had considered doing these in an array of colors, but thought I would settle on a single paint scheme for rapid identification instead.  Besides, this is my first attempt and I wanted something fairly simple.  The lances were done by painting them white, sealing them with dullcote, wrapping them in some masking tape  and then painting them again in blue.  The result was a passable spiral pattern, and something I intend to perfect with time.


I based them as a CP unit for Impetus, and intend on adding at least three more stands to achieve my 300 pt armies for the period.  My only limitation thus far is a complete absence of appropriate mounted Harquebus/dragoons for the time period.  Everything I find is either a Ritter with pistols or Dragoons for the 17th century.  Does anyone know of a good 28mm 16th century mounted X-bow or Handgunner?

Comments

  1. For mounted X-Bow/Handgunners, have you considered Redoubt (http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=2199e4b4837078c6035f015cf9fbe312)?

    Knice Knights!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not, now I need to put together an order. Are these similar in scale to your ECW collection?

      Delete
    2. I have not seen their Renaissance range in person. Order a couple of figs as a test.

      Delete
  2. Old Glory and Essex are other sources for these Light Horse. I am sure there are others as well. As Jon noted, Redoubt make a lot of useful figures that many other manufacturers don't cover.

    PS your spirals are better than I have ever been able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. IAre the Essex ones on par with the Old Glory line or a little smaller?

      Delete
  3. Excellent paintjob, love this unit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice knights - spirals look good too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment